Author Topic: Colourful usernames & community roles  (Read 1766 times)

• Software Engineer
  • Assistant Leader
  • Senior User
  • Hello world. :)
Colourful usernames & community roles
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
To keep the development / design of 'ephemeral' more transparent, and to involve the community in the decisions, I think that both Chris and me should make posts here with questions about implementations. This way, the current community gets to decide things about the new community website.

One such issue is the colouring of usernames / roles.

Should we:
a) Have roles - assign colours to roles [apart from admin/user, this needs to be implemented for managing the content effectively]
b) Have roles - no colours
c) Don't have roles - let users decide the colour of their username
d) Don't have roles - no colours
e) Something different altogether?

Your IP:

Me at work:

• How extreme you ask? "heroin in your fuckin' eyeball" EXTREME!
  • Recruitment Manager
  • Hero
  • I will die you.
Re: Colourful usernames & community roles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
I'd would also think it would be cool to more of these badges instead of just top 3 voters. There could be loads when you think about it.
Also the custom title's that I've added to a certain few of you would be nice to implement as well. Makes everyone's profile a bit more unique eventhough they don't have a meaning.

Voted a myself, but time will tell if we actually need those roles. I am a recruit manager at this point, but there simply is no recruiting at all, so yeah, kind of meaningless at this point.

• Leader
  • Senior Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »
I personally think that having colours assigned to roles is a really good way of managing things. It works currently and I can't think of a better system.

I also agree with the "badges" - I think the following would be a good system:

- You earn achievements for different things, such as: Top 3 posters, being the top poster of a certain section (say a nerdy section would give you an achievement or something like that, maybe we could have some that only admins can earn (so they compete amongst each other to effectively manage the forum, thus giving incentive to do so.
- Each achievement would come with a "title" that you can stick by your name on the forum. Obviously we'd have to remove the ability to put these titles by your actual display name too but that's not a difficult thing to implement.
- Some achievements would be random, like maybe every day you log in you get a random reward. These could be achievements / titles or simply something weird like the ability to add some kind of effect to your posts for the day, stuff like that.

This is the wrong thread for this probably, but I will stick this in another one tomorrow when I wake up.

• Giant bass guitar.
  • Senior Admin
  • Full Hero
  • OAOH
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
I like the current ranking and color system. It's a nice incentive, and it helps newcomers or people who only drop in occasionally to get a feel of the clan, know who to talk to if they need help, that sorta thing.
Also, I like all that has been said about titles and achievements.